Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ode to food



I think it is fitting to begin my first blog post on one of my greatest passions: food. A few friends consider me a gourmet, most others, including myself, a foodie. Whatever the term may be, I know that since I was little, the domestic domain was one of my favourite imaginary pastimes. Shelling maple seeds as though they were peas and then frying their fresh green seeds in the sun til they were brown. Using my plastic bowling set as chicken drumsticks and a big black coconut, roasting them over a pretend fire fashioned from an archaic exercise contraption that I imagined to be a spit. Everything around me a potential food toy. From my lego bricks (little pieces of stir fry), to ping pong balls (eggs), to the foliage in the garden (salad), the world was my all-u-can-eat buffet. Imagine my joy when I received a working miniature kitchen that had running water through its faucets and light up stove elements, my penquin shaped refrigerator, and my Fischer Price hot plate!
Now on the wrong side of 30, I own 2 toy kitchens and a beautiful assortment of miniature food items, thanks to Japanese collectable toy makers. My daughter has just turned 2 and has received a lovely kitchen playset with bubbling and sizzling sounds. And so, I have come full circle. I now sit and enjoy watching her make megoblock cake and teddy bear stir fry. Isn’t life grand?

No comments:

Post a Comment