Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Me Chinese

Just before the holidays, I was faced with some rather amusing assumptions that were part of holiday well wishes and good intentions. I had a good laugh at all of them.

Parent: Will you be flying back to your home this holiday?
Me: No. I'm going to drive down Keele for 15 mins.

Teaching partner: I got you a T and T Supermarket gift certificate! I hope you like it!
Me: Thank you. I usually shop at Sobeys but I'll gladly make the trip.

(Context: Secret Santa must buy a toy to be donated to Sick Kids. The toy should represent something about the recipient, such as their interests or hobbies.)

Secret Santa: (passes me a blue haired rag doll with button eyes).
I got this for you because it looks Chinese. Like you.
Me: (puzzled look) Blue hair?
Secret Santa: She has black eyes. And she's funky. Like an Asian.
Me: I have brown eyes. But thank you for thinking I'm funky.

1 comment: