Sunday, July 19, 2009

Birthday gifts

Last Father's Day, I wanted to get something for the hubby that he would want AND enjoy. After much thought, I ran out at the first opportunity and got him a tera-byte external hard drive AND UFC: Undisputed for the PS3. I figured if he liked both, great. If he didn't like one as much, I'll return the other. As it turned out, he said they were both nice but they were too expensive and he would actually prefer this ladder he saw in an ad. So, I returned both gifts and went with him to buy the ladder only to find the ladder didn't meet his expectations.

So no gift and here is his birthday looming before me and I am back to square one. Here are my new thoughts:
A GPS: He mentioned it passingly and we get lost often.
A cutting tool kit: On sale for half the price and he mentioned it.
The elusive ladder: I could try.
Planter and plant: He'd like one for the front of the house though it's a risk.
Shiny new house numbers: He mentioned it long ago. I know he doesn't like our current ones.

Any ideas are welcome. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. I say combine gifts for extr backup - ones that aren't necessarily too expensive either. Get the shiny new house numbers because you can tell him it will raise the attractiveness of the entire property, AND the GPS so you can each now blame the machine if you ever get lost again. See? Practical and hopefully affordable. The ladder is the equivalent of the washing machine, practical, but still representing future work. He may think he wants it, but as a birthday gift? I don't know. How about kicking in a bottle of his favourite drink? Maybe some beer for him to "find" around the house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should get the GPS, because it is practical but still promises exciting road trips in the future. There is nothing exciting about cutting tools, ladders and new house numbers. You can save those for Heny to get on your birthday or Mother's Day. (Kidding!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any practical ideas, all I know is Heny likes really stupid fun things like that elastic shooting gun I got from Malaysia. I say get him something practical but add a little fun thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your thoughts. I ran out and got the cutting tool and Watchmen. The GPS is sold out and the numbers were ugly. Hope he likes them!

    ReplyDelete