Monday, November 9, 2009

I don't know about this.....


I've ranted previously about my dismay over "Phantom of the Opera: The Musical Part 2." I don't think I've ever mentioned, but "Lord of the Rings: The Musical" was a disaster. Now I hear on the radio that they have "Spiderman: The Musical," apparently the most expensive musical to be produced. I'm sure the rights weren't cheap nor was hiring Bono of U2 to do the music.

Don't get me wrong. I love both off-beat and traditional musicals. Pop culture based musicals also have their place as I've thoroughly enjoyed "Cobra: The Musical," and "Evil Dead: The Musical." (I'm hoping to see "The Toxic Avenger: The Musical.") The genre is fun and can make even the most dismal and depressing of topics fun and up beat (Urinetown).

But Spiderman? Like Lord of the Rings, I think this is just another money grab off of something that is currently hip and already has a large fan base that enjoy spending money. And of course, I'm part of that demographic. Here you go, Stan Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment